In this European policy exchange network the cities of Aalborg, Delft, Magdeburg, Parma, and Tartu exchange their policy responses and learn from each other.
Internationalisation is a key challenge for medium size university cities in the battle for brains. Why is internationalisation important, and how does it contribute to the city, region, and university? How to attract people (students, academics, other knowledge workers) from Europe, or even beyond. What are good practices and barriers? Related to that, cities face any other issues as well, such as: how to integrate the different types of higher educated foreigners in the local labour market and the society? How to make them stay? What are the implications for urban services? To remain competitive, the key stakeholders in medium sized university cities need a strategic approach and tackle all these issues in a coherent way.
We focus on the following subtopics:
- Effective marketing of the region together, abroad
- Labour market integration of higher skilled foreigners
- Social embedding & cultural integration of foreigners
- Internationalization of urban services, facilities and amenities
- Housing and accommodation for internationals
- Internationalisation of higher education & research